Sunday, December 30, 2007

It's a puzzle

It's a puzzle, but the pieces seem to be coming together. I rounded up some scrap metal from 3 old bed frames to use for battery racks. On Thursday Matt and I sized up where we could put battery racks. We cut the pieces and positioned it in a place where we could use existing bolt attachments in the frame.

I am using a skill saw with a grinder like blade to cut the angle iron:

We had thought about welding it, but were worried about having enough power for the welder. I picked up nuts and bolts and a cobalt drill bit and on Saturday we bolted it together. We then added a another peice of angle iron closer to the firewall to hold one more battery. So at this point we are ready for 3 batteries. Three others will go in the back.Matt had a hitchhiker on his tool bag:


Sunday: Ready to figure out where to put the controller. I got a piece of aluminum to serve as both a heat sink and a place to mount the controller. We tossed around many ideas, and finally decided to mount the plate on the rear angle iron and use one of the bolt holes in the firewall as a third point. We are also planning on mounting the contactor and the shunt on the aluminum plate. Here is where we will mount the plate:We also spent a lot of time figuring out where to put the throttle box. We actually never did figure out where to put it, but we decided to incorporate the cable holder so that we can place where we want as one unit:

5 comments:

mgreig said...

Hi there, I am building the same car but at 96V with lead acid and after weeks of trying to figure out how to get more than 2 batteries under the hood I stumbled across this site! Thank you! I built my under-hood racks the same as yours. I have one question however. How did you secure the last piece of angle-iron closest to the firewall? Did you weld that one in? I can't bolt the thick angle to the thin frame there so I can't see any other way. Just wondering how you got it done. Thanks again.

mgreig said...

Hi there, I am building the same car but at 96V with lead acid and after weeks of trying to figure out how to get more than 2 batteries under the hood I stumbled across this site! Thank you! I built my under-hood racks the same as yours. I have one question however. How did you secure the last piece of angle-iron closest to the firewall? Did you weld that one in? I can't bolt the thick angle to the thin frame there so I can't see any other way. Just wondering how you got it done. Thanks again.

baerfoot said...

I believe I just used a self tapping screw to bolt it on the ledge there.

mgreig said...

Thanks so much for the reply. I'm also curious how you ran your high voltage cable through the car. I'm looking at doing it below the carpet next to the driver's seat to the rear pack using the same grommet you did. Sure appreciate the help!

baerfoot said...

If you look at the picture above that has the break lines there is a grommet covering a hole in the firewall. The cables to the back went through that hole.