Monday, February 11, 2008

How much per mile?

Here is my preliminary calculation;
I used a device called a "Kill-o-watt" to measure how much Juice came out of the wall.
After a full charge I drove 9 miles. Then I did another full charge. the meter said that I used 2.55 kilowatt hours.
My electric bill says I pay about 20 cents/kilowatt hour. So the 9 miles used about 51 cents.
So around 6 cents a mile.
If I got 40 miles/gallon at $3.30 gallon that would be 8.25 cents a mile. Not a huge difference.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I suppose it depends where you are and the relative 'costs'. In New Zealand gas is$4.92 a gallon and power is 16 cents a kilowatt-hour, so the incentive value is higher. Also New Zealand's power is 75% non CO2 / renewables (hydro, wind and geothermal) and I'm guessing that Hawaii's power is less so. So, the benefit to the atmosphere is greater. Having said that, there is still huge pay-offs for doing your conversion, or won't have done it.

Congratulations on getting the Metro going in record time and making it looks easy. I started my conversion at the same time as you but I am far from finished yet!